Take Ten With The Sole Men!
After featuring him in a special HooplaHa video, we thought it’d be fun to ask a few more questions of Chris Kydes, the Wilton, Connecticut shoemaker. Chris describes his mission as providing the town of Wilton and the surrounding area with "functioning, happy, healthy shoes!" Read on to find out what shoes he was wearing when we chatted, and find out what were the happiest shoes to ever walk out of his shop!
1. What’s your favorite part about fixing shoes?
Working with the leather. And I like the smell, too!
The worst pair? Well, let me see. Wow. Probably a pair that a college kid wore. They were handed down from his father. His feet were showing through the bottom of the sole.
3. What did the ugliest pair of shoes look like, in your opinion?
Probably a pair of boots. I think they were from the Middle East. They were made of Camel hair or something. And it was very dirty.
4. What’s the smallest size shoe you had to fix?
Probably a 2.5.
5. What was the most unusual request you ever had?
Someone brought in a camel saddle once. His camel saddle was broken. He didn’t have a camel in the United States, I don’t think, but it was broken.
6. What was the happiest pair of shoes that ever walked out of your shop?
Probably a pair of clown shoes from the Barnum and Bailey circus. They were huge!
Probably Christian Louboutin’s.
7.a. Are they easy to fix?
No. I just like working on them. They’re like a piece of art. We have a line that they should not be worn outside of the bedroom.
8. What is the stinkiest pair of shoes you’ve ever fixed?
(Laughs.) Probably a pair of sneakers.
9. Have you ever considered leaving your location?
No, I haven’t considered it, but they just put up a for sale sign for the whole lot, so we might have to leave.
10. What type of shoes are you wearing right now?
I have a pair of sneakers on.