National Chocolate Chip Day
Just out of the oven, but still too hot to bite into, they smell divine, teasing your senses and causing your tummy to grumble. One of my all-time favorite, sweet-tooth satisfying desserts is the chocolate chip cookie. And in honor of National Chocolate Chip Day, let's share some more favorite sweets and treats that spotlight those chocolate-y chips!
To start, we must begin with ultimate chocolate chip showcase: chocolate chip cookies! The variety of this classic sweet treat can be simple, savory, spicy, or, extremely buttery. No matter your cookie preference, you can’t go wrong with this afternoon snack when you pair it with a glass of cold milk.
Before the cookies even go into the oven though, that’s one of my favorite ways to enjoy chocolate chips: the cookie dough. (Note: I do not advocate eating cookie dough with raw egg.) If you do crave this fulfilling, uncooked stage of the treat, leave out the egg to enjoy. I’m guilty of shoveling spoonfuls into my mouth before popping a batch of cookies in the oven.
A favorite, mascarpone cheese-filled Italian delectable dessert is the cannoli. And what better way to enjoy one post-meal than one filled and covered with chocolate chips? Next time you head to your local Italian pastry shop, see if they have chocolate chip cannolis. They won’t disappoint!
Have you ever woken up craving chocolate? Me too! The best way that I find to get that chocolate fix is by dropping a handful of chips right into the pancake batter. Just pour some syrup on, maybe even add a little whipped cream, and you’ve got a gratifying breakfast!
If pancakes aren’t your breakfast of choice, what about some banana bread with your coffee or tea? With some chocolate chips mixed in with a great way to use up older bananas, your taste buds are sure to do a happy dance as you indulge in a slice or two of the loaf.
Craving something with chocolate chips yet? I certainly am! I’ll leave you with my original chocolate chip cookie recipe! It took many years, and lots of failed attempts, before coming up with something I can always go back to! Enjoy!
“Amanda’s Perfectly Imperfect Chocolate Chip Cookies”
Yield: Approximately 24 cookies
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup dark chocolate chunks
½ cup milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a medium sized bowl, use a whisk to mix flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, use a mixer to combine brown sugar, sugar, and butter. Mix until light and fluffy. Make sure not to over-mix.
4. Add egg and vanilla to sugar and butter mixture. Mix until fully combined.
5. Now add half of the flour mixture at a time. Again, make sure to not over-mix.
6. Lastly, put all chocolate chips into the dough.
7. Place parchment paper on cookie sheets. Then put heaping spoonfuls of dough onto the sheets about an inch and a half apart.
8. When oven is ready, put sheets with cookie dough in the oven. Bake cookies until golden brown. Depending on the oven, set timer for 6 minutes, then 2 minute intervals until cookies are to your liking. (Sometimes I like the extra crunchy, while other times I like them super soft.)
9. As soon as they're done, take out of the oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.