Hundreds of Homeless Children Receive New Clothes, Books, And More At Universal Studios Hollywood's "Day of Giving"
On November 9th, Universal Studios Hollywood's hosted their 13th annual "Day of Giving" event. Hundreds of employee volunteers helped make a difference at six Los Angeles-based non-profit organizations, including AIDS Project L.A. (APLA), Downtown Women's Center, Tree People, Union Station Homeless Services and Shane's Inspiration.
The meaningful "Day of Giving" event is a yearly Universal Studios Hollywood tradition designed to connect employees with diverse community organizations, many of which are beneficiaries of the Discover A Star Foundation whose mission is to empower individuals and families to lead more productive and fulfilling lives.
As the events took place throughout the Southland, Universal Studios Hollywood served as the home base for one of the six locations, hosting Operation School Bell and over 280 homeless children from over 50 LAUSD elementary schools. They were treated to a variety of back to school needs, including new clothing, sneakers, and school supplies.
The children also enjoyed an afternoon of theme park fun, experiencing "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter TM ," "Despicable Me Minion Mayhem", and "Super Silly Fun Land", as well as the world-famous Studio Tour.
In tandem with festivities at the park, the day-long event also deployed hundreds of employee volunteers around Los Angeles to help support community-building efforts at the following organizations:
- AIDS Project L.A. (APLA): where employees volunteered at the NorthHollywood food pantry and helped assemble food bags for clients;
- Downtown Women's Center: where volunteers helped prepare brown bag lunches & toiletry kits for their clients in need;
- Tree People: where employee volunteers assisted with tree care, maintain trails, and removed invasive plants;
- Union Station Homeless Services: where participants prepared and served lunch; and
- Shane's Inspiration: where employees took part in a "play date" with special needs children at a nearby Shane's Inspiration playground.
You can see more about Shane's Inspiration in the video below!
Supported by Universal Studios Hollywood, Discover A Star Foundation is committed to making a significant impact in local underserved communities by providing grants to deserving non-profit organizations. Originally founded in 1995, Discover A Star's mission is to provide financial assistance to neighboring nonprofit groups. To date, Discover A Star Foundation has raised over $9 million and provided financial assistance to over 65 non-profit organizations!
We're already looking forward to next year's Universal Studios Hollywood's Day of Giving!