10 Ways Dogs Teach Us To Be Happier Humans
I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't like dogs. I mean, what's not to love? They are adorable as heck, cuddly, loving and funny. Each one of them has a personality of their own. They love life. They spend their days playing and spending time with their family. We can learn a lot from these animals. A blogger on Huffington Post lists "10 Things We Can Learn From Our Dogs That Will Make Us Happier and Healthier Humans." Below are our favorite lessons!
1. Live in the moment. I don't have all the elaborate memories of the past or thoughts about the future and it seems like I have it better. Because of this each day is new and singular with great possibilities untainted by the lens of past experiences that humans use to evaluate new events. I am not weighted with past disappointments. I don't predict the future, good or bad. I simply take each day as it comes. This moment is all either of us has for sure. Relax, play and definitely chase your tail if you want.
2. Forgive. Even if you were gone all day, are too busy to take me for a long walk or yell at me when you're mad, my feelings may be hurt but I forgive you immediately. I'm still happy to see you. I meet you where you are without judgment, thoughts of how I would change you or residue from yesterday and the day before. I don't analyze why you did the thing you did. I don't need to understand it. I simply forgive you. The past is gone and time is precious. Every day matters.
3. Take good care of yourself. Take naps, clean your fur, get exercise, go to the groomers, get regular checkups, take walks in nature and enjoy life without guilt. Make time each day for basic care so you are vital and ready for challenges like scaring the mailman away (again!) and opportunities like meeting friends at the dog beach or Frisbee in the park. Be the best you and I'll be the best me so we can have many happy days together.
4. Take time for the simple things (like laying on the furniture together). I'll watch whatever shows you want to watch and they don't even have to have animals in them. How many humans do you know that would do that? It doesn't matter that I don't like the Real Housewives of anywhere but I'm lying next to you and you're happy. That's enough. And then sometimes we watch Animal Planet or Cesar Milan (and I get to see dogs who don't know how to behave- and you are reminded that I'm a good dog).
5. Love is the only thing that really matters. If you are breathing, it's a good day. Neither of us is perfect and it doesn't matter. Real love sees no flaws. And when I get old and my eyesight isn't so good and my fur is more raggedy than the Velveteen Rabbit, you will love me anyway. To the end of my days. And I will do the same for you as long as I can and after.
To read the rest of the list click here.