10 Therapy Dogs Helped People Overcome Tremendous Obstacles
1. Henry, the Portuguese water dog who helped 11 silent autistic students find their voices and graduate from Novi High School.
2. The dogs at Therapy Dogs International who help children read out loud.
3. Buck, the black Poodle, who helped an inmate feel comfortable enough to open up in group therapy.
4. Rosie, the first judicially approved courtroom dog in New York, who helped a victim testify in court.
5. Zoey, the 100 pound Golden Retriever who visits funeral homes to help people say goodbye to loved ones.
6. The dozens of golden retrievers brought to Newtown, CT to comfort the students and parents affected by Sandy Hook Elementary shootings. One handler said her dog "eased frowns all day." According to Daily News, there were comfort dogs in the halls of Sandy Hook every day after the December shooting.
7. Luther and Ruthie, the K-9 Parish Comfort dogs, who brought "comfort, release, and mercy" to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing.
8. Maxx.E, the great Pyrenees who helped a juvenile detainee learn that gentle behavior is more effective than violence.
9. Lexi and Star, the retrievers who made Leonard Pal, a cancer patient, forget about the needles in his arm and the side-effects of treatment.
10. Spyder, the German Shepherd who was abused as a puppy, but grew up to help war veterans heal from PTSD by visiting them at the VA Hospital in Leeds, Mass.