10 Photographs You Won't Believe Aren't Paintings
Alexa Meade is a photographer whose works look less like real life than they do two-dimensional portraits. Using a mystifying combination of brushwork, perspective, and lighting, she turns her subjects into walking paintings.
1) It's hard to believe this is a photograph of a real person standing in front of a red backdrop...
2) ...yet the same photo from a different angle reveals what you are actually looking at.
3) Standing against a public backdrop, this man looks like he was painted into the photograph.
4) Even in person, Meade's subjects are baffling.
5) A particular, strategic placement of paint is what makes this woman appear two-dimensional.
6) To create the illusion of flatness, even the shadows of her subjects must be manipulated.
7) This scene is from Meade's exhibition at the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery.
8) Another shot of the exhibit at the Smithsonian.
9) Even still life takes on Meade's multi-dimensional effect .
10) Here, Meade helps the viewer understand what they are looking at by comparing the body before and after it is painted.
Click here to visit Alexa Meade's webpage.